I love perogies, but I cannot see myself ever making homemade ones. They take up an entire day, and actually cost quite a bit of money once you do the math. No, I am more of a “buy a bag of perogies for $1.99 and figure out how to make them amazing” kind of person!
I have had so many compliments from this recipe that most people actually think they are homemade…..hahahaha! It almost feels like I am insulting the good people that take the initiative to make them from scratch!
So I am going to share my secret to taking a bag of $1.99 perogies and turning them into a “gourmet” meal your family will request on a regular basis!
How to make cheap Perogies taste gourmet!
- Bag of cheap, frozen perogies
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 1 cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
Super easy…..super cheap! I bought everything I need (except for spices and butter because I already had that) plus the sour cream and salad for only $8.00. This will feed four and that is $2.00 a person for an amazing, “gourmet” meal!
- Caramelize onions until translucent, fragrant and brown to your liking in oil. Remove from pan.
- Add frozen perogies to pan and sprinkle with spices.
- Add butter and water and let simmer, stirring often.
- The water, butter and spices with start to create an incredible smooth, silky sauce as it cooks down. Once there is a small amount of liquid in the bottom of the pan, turn the heat off. If you let them go too long, they will dry out.
- Top with caramelized onions and serve with sour cream and salad!
If love perogies I encourage you to try this recipe out! Please let me know what you think!