I have seen this posted on Facebook and Pinterest, but never really thought much about it until we decided to try and create a self sustainable lifestyle! Now the thought of growing our own exotic fruits seems very intriguing!
So after we made our Chicken and Pineapple BBQ Skewers the other night, we lopped off the top of the pineapple and watched some tutorials to see how to do it. Here are the things I learned that may help you get started:
- Pick the pineapple by the best top (we didn’t, but we didn’t know we were going to try and grow the damn thing!)
- Twist off the top of the pineapple, don’t cut it off
- Most tutorials say rip off an inch of the leaves, but it is best to take it up until you only have a couple big leaves left
- Stick it in water until it starts rooting. You will see roots start to establish after 3-5 days
- Once it has a good root base, stick it on a pot with dirt
- It can take 1-3 years to grow your first pineapple
- Who cares how long it takes, they are very pretty House plant in the meantime!
Does anyone have any advice? I would love to hear some success stories!